|Address:||11035 - 97 Street, Edmonton, AB|
Lambton Block is twenty-three suite apartment building sitting on a 19,759 Sq. Ft. development site located at 11035 - 97 Street in Edmonton, Alberta in the McCauley neighbourhood.
Lambton Block is a three-storey edwardian-era brick construction building with fireplaces and skylights. It was built in 1913, and was designed by Roland W. Lines. This historic building was originally owned by John Robert Boyle, City councillor, MLA, Attorney General and Supreme Court Judge.
The suite mix includes 17 bachelor suites and 6 one-bedroom suites. The vendor currently has a variety of development plans drafted, from a ten to twelve storey apartment building consisting of both one-bedroom and two-bedroom suites, with underground parking. The Lambton Block has been extensively renovated.
Complete restoration of the exterior of this historical building, including a new roof, and new windows. The front of the building is considered a heritage building, and the City of Edmonton pays 1/3 of the exterior maintenace expenses annually. The interior was gutted and renovated with fresh paints and finishing, while maintaining its turn of the century charm.
The electrical and plumbing throughout the building was replaced. New mechanicals were also installed.
Exterior draining systems were upgraded, with new perimeter drains, and a new sump pump. This renovation totalled ~$100,000.
Lambton Block - Historical Site
The Lambton Block is valued for its association with its original owner, John Robert Boyle. Boyle was well-known as a member of Edmonton’s first city council, MLA, a minister of several different portfolios, and Attorney General. In 1924 he was appointed to the Supreme Court of Alberta where he served until his death in 1936. The community of Boyle, in Edmonton, was named in his honour.
Roland W. Lines was a notable architect in Edmonton, who designed the Lambton Block. Though he only practiced in Edmonton for nine years, he left a mark on its landscape with his architectural designs such as the Canada Permanent Building, The Union Bank, and the original Royal Alexandra Hospital.
The Lambton Block is a landmark and has architectural value. It was built in the Edwardian era, when construction in Edmonton was booming. This unusually shaped building was designed with Classical Revival elements. It is located in one of Edmonton’s oldest settled neighbourhood, the McCauley neighbourhood, named after Edmonton’s first mayor Matthew McCauley. The Lambton Block was built in 1914 on Namayo avenue (which later became 97 street). It was built for $25,000. The lot is irregular in shaped, and the building was constructed with six sides using bold and innovative the cast-in-place concrete.
The ground floor originally housed four commercial retail stores, each with separate access to the basement, and 22 apartments in the top three levels. Later the ground floor was converted to additional apartment units. Beautiful pilaster columns frame the single sash windows of the building.
Interested in this Property?
Contact the David G. Parker Team Today